--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dfsavgny" <dfsavgny@> wrote:
>
> > You clam diggers were bred on paying for the beach. In NY they
are
> >free.
>
> True.  True.
>
> In most great places they are free.

I said it once before. Back around 1993 (roughly), for a real short
period of time (about 3 or 4 weeks) the beaches were free. Whenever
Angelo Chinnici was on the council. Then a new council came in and
wiped it out.

There were about 4 vendors on the bw. I was one. People came when it
was free then boom. No one in the city was for it.

The logic was you get people to come in. The merchants would pay more
in rent then the $1,000 per YEAR i got 2500 sq ft for. More people
come, the more potential merchants might come, the more the landlord
(the city at the time) would charge for rent....

and the more money you'd make at the parking meters.

But the city was in such a financial tailspin, nothing made sense,
other then government internvention.

You'd think we're talking about "saving" the financial markets here...