I am prejudiced because I have worked in housing counseling since 1994,
but I agree.  If everyone had a counselor to work with before they took
out a mortgage then you would decrease the number of people who ended
up in crazy mortgages.  You could never completely eradicate it unless
counselors were required to sign off on the loan choice, but that's a
bit too much.  How about mandatory first time homebuyer classes?  At
least educate people that they have options.  Right now, people take
advice from those who make a commission off of their decision.  Never a
great situation IMHO.