Tommy,
I am not proposing a law.  I just feel that knowledge would have
helped many people avoid mistakes.  I think that mandatory education
which covers all aspects of homeownership, but does not replace legal
counsel is a good idea.  I am a housing counselor.  I've run
counseling programs and trained counselors for a long time.  I've
never been sued because counselors do not tell people what to do.
They offer them knowledge and give them the tools to make their own
decision.  Counselors are educated and certified.  I currently train
housing counselors and their partners (some of whom are legal aid
lawyers).  I teach counselors that they can only give people an
understanding of lending practices.  I can't and wouldn't decide for
them.  Suing your housing counselor for teaching you something you
didn't or chose not to learn would be like suing your math teacher
because you bounced a check.  You can't make people choose the best
options.  I know that.  Some will always go for the quick and easy
path even if it runs off of a cliff, but many would have chosen
differently with the advice of a housing counselor.  What is wrong
with that?
Jennifer