> A duopoly?  Perhaps the left and right wings of the same bird of prey?

well yes, they are.  and for some reason americans seem to love this
superbowl mentality of our elections. and instead of questioning how
two parties, even if they were distinct, could possibly represent the
diversity of this amazing country they pick a team and cheer
unquestioningly.  its really pretty weird.   We need Instant Runnoff
VOting or some other system to get beyond this joke.  thankfully it is
amusing from time to time.