<http://flemingwhite.com/Historic%20Images/AsburyPark/Asbury%20Avenue.jp\
> g> . Even in the post-hotel age, both longtime residents and new condo
> dwellers might appreciate having something to look at from their front
> porches other than the back of a used Sea-Land box. This would be a
> marketing point for realtors and thus a very real concern if it's lost
> for good.

Very astute observations.

The oldest and most significant historic element of Asbury Park is the
City plan. The design and layout of the streets and public spaces form
the framework, the defining character and feel, of the City.

The 'green spaces' were actually physical extensions of the Avenues
under City (public) control just as the streets are.

The street grid and City design was duly recognized in the Historic
Preservation Element of the City Master Plan. It is also recognized in
the current Waterfront Redevelopment Plan.

In spite of that, several streets have been closed for development,
blocking view corridors and adversely affecting traffic circulation.
In addition, development of the 'green spaces' with structures and
visual impediments is also adversely affecting the character of the City.

Open spaces, view corridors, parks, street arrangements, etc, all
contribute to how a developed area is interpreted. Most often the
effect is subtle and not even noticed by the occupants of the space.
That leads to the significance of various design elements often being
dismissed as not important.

That lack of awareness and absence of policy to preserve character
defining features is degrading the quality of Asbury Park and its
beautiful historic design.

Werner