i am reading it again. aside from the KKK, the regular old racism is
enough and easy to believe given the time and space this country was
in..no?

what is hanging in my mind is this idea of the "promise" that
sandpiper pointed out to me, and my own lack of understanding about
how people have mythologized this place, expect so many things from it
etc. I just can't understand being seemingly obsessed with ap's
progress or lack of when you don't live here. to the point of brutal
criticisms...if you have ever spent any time looking at the APP
comments you know what i mean. newbee seems to inhabit this realm.

is it some sort of spiritual seeking? some sort of
quest/expectation...im not sure..but there is something seriously
dysfunctional in expecting anything outside of ourselves for some sort
of promised land.  the obsession with ap is as wacked to me as the
obsession with springsteen. don't get me wrong, i can still sing every
word to thunder road, but i am not a teen anymore. hes just a singer.

i just don't get it. if you are so infatuated with the place, come
live here. if you are afraid to follow your love, join the many in
sadland. if you delight in the failure of this place or any
other....you are too sad for words. your lack of soul isn't asbury's
problem. you won't find it here or anyplace else. sit with yourself.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"