thanks, you make a lot of sense. but for me it all boils down to
people living in the past and projecting their current
unhappiness/need to be fulfilled on a place incapable of fulfilling.
not because Asbury isn't a great place.  because it isn't a therapist.
when you want life to be like it was 40 years ago, or when you were
21, you need a therapist. same goes for springsteen. expecting him to
be who he was when i was 11 is insane. i know i sound harsh on the
glory days seekers, but regardless of their intentions, they are
misplaced. take it to the couch. lots of things are magical to young
people (hopefully). if you have no magic in your life as an adult, you
probably bought the BS, fell into decisions you shouldn't have, care
too much about what others think of you and if you are keeping up with
the jones'.

and though i am no city planner, i feel secure in thinking that to
replicate ap in some shape of its former self would make no sense and
be economically unviable. we aren't the Americans we were 50 years ago
and thank god for that. i do think a ferris wheel would be a blast,
but the carnie fests are a fine substitute.

i am a little obsessed with thinking of asbury as a place created with
spiritual intentions. bradley moving beyond what he knew to create a
place of spirit which simply opened up another set of human issues to
deal with. which is what always happens when we grow, learn and
expand. i love to think of bradley and the sexual repression of the
time when gay friends talk about all the "sucking and f**king" that
went on all over the place in public in the desolate days...te hehehe.
can you imagine what those people would think of ap being a gay
community? delightful!