you are a treasure of info, many thanks.

i do think tommy wears some blinders when it comes to racism, but i
have to say that reading the article made me think of my time in the
service and hotel industry. 20 years. dishwasher, waitress,
housekeeper, front desk, bartender etc in a resort area (block
island). most owners had issues with the staff hanging at the bars and
such (at least the ones they worked at) it usually was
problematic...though very different than then obviously. not the same,
but a thread of similarity. and the working population on BI isn't
comprised entirely of a different race.

i feel like we should create a new thread for this.