> They're still married and the Priest and Rabbai are still running a
> pretty good marriage business. That is, the business of religion.
>
> Like Diamonds. Like Stocks.

Yup, marriage is a business, just ask those in it for the financial
security.

I know that despite being a gay town, ap is hardly a bastion for the
anticonformist gay movement that excited me with the possibility of
liberation when i visited SF a bunch a years ago. following are some
quotes from gay people against gay marriage.

"But we don't live in 1969. Queers aren't
engaged in four-day-long street-battles with police anymore.
We haven't burnt cop cars or attacked capitols lately.
We aren't occupying federal buildings, and public sex in
enormous squatted buildings is sadly a matter of envious
nostalgia for our generation. Rather, we have the banal
regurgitation of heterosexuality and patriarchy in the
form of campaigns for marriage and military service."

"Many homosexuals are on our side. While the homosexual lobby has
pushed for the 'right' to 'marry' as part of its broader public policy
strategy to gain acceptance and endorsement, it's clear that many
homosexuals really don't want to marry. Indeed, homosexuals see
marriage as a key feature of the heterosexual culture which they wish
to demolish in their attempt to radically change sexual morality in
our society."

I personally find marriage to be pretty oppressive. never met a wife
who looked like she had something good going on. have witnessed a few
marriages that were about emotional or financial security.

recently pissed off a male friend when i referred to one of his ex gfs
as a prostitute after he claimed she used him and is now using another
man she lives with because she has no money and he covers the rent and
other expenses. if you sleep with a man personal survival, aren't you
a prostitute?

and lets remember...marriage has nothing to do with love, commitment
or monogamy in our culture, all really beautiful things.

you can't love someone if you need them.