Although our dog LOOKS like a pit, we believe he is an American Bulldog (mixed
with something else non-bully) and they're a little different from an APBT.
Hobie barks ferociously when anyone approaches the house (like a good guard
dog), even if I am there. I actually have to put him in the bathroom when
guests come because he scares the crap out of people (then he calms down after
a couple of minutes and I let him out). If he were out, and I was there, he
would just sniff them until he decided they were ok and that's that. We've
never had an actual aggression problem with this dog, he doesn't need a muzzle
at the vet/groomer, and he generally likes everyone he meets. It is just the
look of him, and his confidence and barking that is scary, but  that is what
makes him a good guard dog.  If someone tried breaking in my house, they would
be confronted with a 70+ lb white pit looking thing barking very ferociously
and I think that would keep them out!