The employees shouldn't be taking up revenue generating spaces for free.  They
don't work for the city.  They don't drive revenue to the city.  The businesses
do.  And they pay MM for the space.  MM should be providing space to
accommodate as part of their leases with the businesses.  It's not the city's
job to provide free parking to employees of private businesses.  Otherwise it's
not the city but the homeowners in the city who in fact are paying for employee
parking.

So why should I as a homeowner pay more in taxes to provide free parking to
employees of private businesses?

That's MM job.  The city's doing everything right in this case, and is trying
to be a good partner by providing a discount.