From: "hmelissar" <hmelis...@yahoo.com>
Sender: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 02:33:40
To: <AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: Gunshots in windows and ongoing crime in AP

Hello,

I haven't written on here in a long time, but this episode of people almost
being shot in their houses while they are sleeping, and the statistic that
there have been 10 shootings in Asbury last month alone, make me very
distressed. Jim, I think you are right. I don't know anything about the City
Council, but thank you for your service on it. It sounds very frustrating.

Yesterday I overhead a conversation at The Sand Witch on the AP Boardwalk that
has stuck with me: a man, a tourist from I'm not sure where, was chatting with
the restaurant owner, comparing the AP boardwalk to other boardwalks in the
state. He said that he heard that Seaside Heights had a bunch of arrests (I am
paraphrasing here) on July 4th and 5th, and as a result they closed down, and
the Sand Witch owner said, yeah, lots of homeless people starting fights, drug
addicts, etc in Seaside. Lots of hoodlums. Because of Snooki, the clubs are
packed, but that's about it.  And the tourist guy's response: "yeah, no
hoodlums here." I was surprised-thought the guy was being sarcastic, making a
joke, but he was serious- obviously he had no knowledge that a big part of
Asbury is a gang haven, drugs, crime, etc. I guess the gentrification of the AP
boardwalk is complete. Weird.

Sometimes I wonder if the beautiful new boardwalk will someday incite future
riots, and how much the current gentrification is tied to crime in other parts
of Asbury. While I enjoy places like the Watermark and Langosta Lounge, those
$12 cocktails might actually have a political effect.