My house is techinically a condo, converted in 2004 with the 5 units in the
front house. Hard to comp. It is near North Beach, 2 bed, 2 bath, no tax
abatement, taxes around 6K (down from 8k- I fought the law and I won). I do not
want to default. My understanding is NJ is a recourse state, so I will owe the
money anyway and destroy my credit. I can *probably* qualify for another
mortgage, looking into that now. SO, I will buy a small house closer to work in
a town where I can send my kid to school and use Asbury as a rental. Although I
am not too keen on being a LL. I am NOT handy at ALL. And I will likely move a
bit away. I would like to keep Asbury as a second home, but with child care
costs etc, I do not think I can really swing it. But anyway, the point is that
when those North Beach units sit and are a little over $300k with a tax
abatement OCEANFRONT, that just depresses everything else. My place could be
worth $100K less than what I paid for it 7 years ago. And if a condo board is
not flush with cash, the buyer you find may not be able to get a mortgage
anyway. More new units that come on and sit, the more the "older" ones get
depressed. I know the plan is the plan, but I am not real sure what the
incentive is to keep building what people do not seem to want to buy. If Asbury
becomes more and more a place where people want to go (amusements, Stone Pony
etc) THEN maybe people will want to buy luxury condos.