I have not really explored it but my understanding is that if you can pay, they
have no incentive to work with you re: short sale or modification. And unless
there are dire circumstances, why destroy credit, have tax implications, open
youself up to legal action, etc.? I think it is just better to wait it out.
However, that being said, my concern with this "plan" is that the local home
values will continue to go down if more condos flood the market and do not
sell. Eventually, the units will be filled with tenants instead of home owners,
etc.