Should the number of people laying down their lives be a bulwark of any
argument? So, did Nazis, so did 9/11 hijackers, ............. should I try to
prolong the list where people might have laid down their lives for a retrgrade
cause. I am not commenting on the legitimacy of the claim of ULFA here. I'm
just saying, please do not bring number of death as index of the genuineness of
any cause. Such arguments are placed in a political meeting.

Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:        When a dialog was being sought,
one would have hope it had an aim, a goal.

  In this instance, what was Utpal's  aim?

  Would  it be reasonable to assume that for the kind of people involved here
it was to help find a solution for the impasse of a quarter century?

  And what did it turn out to be?

  Did the questions posed have a sincerity of purpose, of discussing the merits
of each side's positions, hopefully to find common ground and a solution?

  Can  an  observer not reasonably conclude  that it was in its entirety ,
without exceptions,  an inquisition;  of a dispatcher, by a band of obviously
immature  and self-righteous  and self-impressed intellectual goons intent only
on devaluing and insulting the hapless, messenger ill equipped to dish out in
kind?

  The start of the response cycle obviously  could very well have been an
honorable one, to have a honest and sincere dialog, with some of Assam's most
privileged and purportedly 'educated'.  Some education that must have been!  It
could in no way, shape or form have been interpreted by the inquisitors  or
well meaning observers  to have been a signal to submit to being insulted and
to surrender the goals that thousands of their fellow men had given their lives
for  or to concede that they have all been  wrong while their inquisitors alone
are right.

  Was it?

  > Intelligentsia or not, every human being capable of communicating through
the net is intelligent >enough to find what is good for him and what is not.

  *** If the aim was merely to assert one's own righteousness,  it played out
just as expected. But  who needs it?

  >What is intelligentsia for one may not be so for another.

  *** That is profound.

  At 4:52 PM +0100 10/3/07, uttam borthakur wrote:
  When two parties talk, be it in catechism mode or a dialogue, it is
inevitable that they would represent divers interests. Is there any
pre-condition for proselytisation?     Now, if the interests are so antgonistic
that there is no point in beginning the discourse, then why should someone
start a response cycle at all?      Does Pakistan have to run a check on India
while entering a dialogue or impose a pre-condition for conversion? Let
everyone have his say. Each would find for himself, what is acceptable and what
is not? I do not find any substance in the search for sincerity or any comment
thereon.      Intelligentsia or not, every human being capable of communicating
through the net is intelligent enough to find what is good for him and what is
not. What is saintly sermon for Mr. Laden may be blasphemy for Mr. Bush.
Intelligentsia is not a defined monolith. What is intelligentsia for one may
not be so for another.     Is there  any scope for normative preachings
 here?

Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Before we pass judgement on the response, we also ought to be able to judge
the QUESTION.

  What were the questions posed by Utpal designed to ?
  To help him and others decide, if what ULFA has been fighting for, Assam's
sovereignty,  is a  sound and beneficial  move for Assam? And if they are
persuaded by ULFA's response that they are sound,  Utpal and others would
SUPPORT it?
  Or were they designed to extract an admission from ULFA, that their own
notions and beliefs, that it is  patently bad  for Assam, never mind HOW or WHY
they have concluded that their notions and beliefs are the truly wise and
considered opinions?
  Is it therefore REASONABLE  to evaluate INTENT for ULFA before submitting
itself to the INQUISITION?
  Where is the ORDINARY integrity expected of  the intelligentsia here, if one
can misuse the English word under the circumstances? The sincerity of purpose?
It is obvious that those who consider themselves the 'educated' and'wise',
unlike ULFA, and  who parade around wearing the garbs of  pillars-of society do
not think so and thus the eloquent outpourings  of disappointment, not to
mention the offenses to their genteel sensitivities . Not just that, the
self-fulfilling prophecies too of the band of braves indulging in the "hola
gosot baagi kuthar mora" enterprise, justification why their masters don't talk
to them, or should not.
  What  is missing from the exercises is a rudimentary  element of AIM of
GOALS.  Never mind the need to explore the reasons WHY ten thousand plus
Oxomiyas have given their lives. No doubt their lives were nearly not as
valuable as one Sanjoy Ghosh's.
  Aimless exercises unfortunately  lead to nowhere.  With such pillars of
society looking after its well-being, one hardly needs enemies to tear it down.

  cm

  At 11:19 AM +0530 10/3/07, shantikam hazarika wrote:
  It seems that some of us are being branded as part of an "unhappy gang with
their so-called education". And they would be 'selective' in answering their
questions; which means they would only reply to 'sincere' questions, from 'real
questioners' after their 'background check done'.

Well, in case they have to do a background check in my case, let me tell you
that my life has been an open book and if a background check is requird in my
case, it simly shows how much these people are in touch with reality or the
ground situations.

Incidentally, let me also tell, that there has been enough background checks
done about these people, their cohorts, sympathisers, beneficiaries,
supporters, hangers one and what not. Lot of people already know who benefits
from their actions, who are actually propping them up. For example when they
killed Sanjay Ghosh, it did not require much background check to find out why
they did so, what was the nexus behind that sordid deal and who would be the
real losers if Majuli is genuinely saved in a very cost effective manner.
Obviously, they are buying time to prepare some obfuscating response, what we
may call "saale bere kobowa"  reply in the name of background checks and what
not.

Also they have already said that they would ignore "halfwit questions and
questioners". How more selective can your comfort zone be...

Interestingly, I was reading something today and I came across the follwoing
phrase: The truth is that many terrorists are doing very well out of violence.
Extortion rackets give them a lifestyle they cannot aspire in times of peace.
They have money, excitement and status: what more you seek in life?

Mantabya nisproyojan.

    Shantikam Hazarika
  Director,
  Assam Institute of Management
  PO Box 30, GUWAHATI 781001, India
  HOME PAGE: www.aimguwahati.edu.in

---------------------------------
    Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:17:14 +0100
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: assam@assamnet.org
Subject: Re: [Assam] assam Digest, Vol 26, Issue 66
  To:  assamonline

     ULFA  invites  genuine  sincere questions  from persons(not gangs)  not
happy with their  so-called education ,wanting  to KNOW how to fight and win
their great future in sovereign Assam .

Firstly we will have background checks  done on  real (?) questioners. Please
tolerate delays.

  ULFA will ignore halfwit questions and questioners who think they already
know and  are already bonded mentally or monetarily.

 With  Best Regards to  respectable  Assamonliners,

 Rubi

  Uttam Kumar Borthakur

Uttam Kumar Borthakur