Trust you to bring your spin to the table somehow :-)

> But it all boils down to one thing: There is no
> sense of one nation.
> Each different entity is out to protect its own
> turf, in whatever way
> it is possible.
> Compound the problem with an absence of a
> functioning state machinery
> that can resolve such issues fairly and timely.

My experience is that there is indeed a sense of one
nation amongst vast sections of people cutting across
regions and communities. In an earlier generation when
opportunities were few, people protected their turfs
resulting in continually diminishing returns. Groups
that have identified opportunities have moved forward
with openness and have benefited - guess how many
Assamese young boys and girls would be there in
Bangalore?. The others that have continued to use
methods of the past languish. In certain parts the
state machinery functions relatively better, I must
say.

> Therein lies the living-in-denial of the
> pan-Indianist middle class
> who have it made. They have little to be concerned
> about and thus can
> talk of bigger things, like getting respect from the
> world as a power
> of some sort, if not a super one, even if it means
> doing so on the
> backs of the insecure who they never hesitate to
> deride so.

My experience of the pan-Indianist middle class - and
I am one of them - is different. The best reflection
of popular, middle class opinion would be the new Shah
Rukh Khan movie Swades where the view point is that a
whole lot needs to be done to yet earn the respect of
the world. We are in a big mess. But getting out of
this mess does not need revolutions. All it needs is
for us to apply what we have better. And there is more
than ample proof of that working.

You might want to see the movie. It is a tad slow,
though.

=== message truncated ===