>Here, even people prefer to throw their garbage to roads instead of paying Rs.30/-pm to the >garbage pickers.

This is in Delhi, I assume. At least the garbage pickers are available there. In Guwahati, 'poisa dileu paaboloi naai'. And where would they even dump it?

>The principle prevailing here is 'keep your home clean, throw the garbage >outside' :-)

I agree, that is the common attitude there - all over India.

>From: "mridul bhuyan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CC: Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>Subject: Re: [Assam] It takes a village
>Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:40:22 +0530

Here, even people prefer to throw their garbage to roads instead of paying Rs.30/-pm to the garbage pickers. The principle prevailing here is 'keep your home clean, throw the garbage outside' :-)

Mridul Bhuyan

>From: Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>Subject: Re: [Assam] It takes a village
>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:24:04 -0500
>
>KJD
>
>IMHO, Singapore is a very tiny country, and that by itself can be a
>big advantage when talking about law and order, or even keeping it
>clean.
>
>The question is whether such a system, with all the trappings of
>draconian laws work in India?
>
>Why even the slightest move in that direction will cause an uproar in
>India, specially by those who are advocating it right now.
>
>They will be the first to yell about fundamental rights being curtailed etc etc.
>
>Will Indians be willing to pay that price that Singaporeans or S.
>Koreans have paid?
>
>--Ram
>

>On 5/18/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > Cd,
> > That's why I wrote " This is not to say that such actions can be yoked to
> > religion itself".
> >
> > You are right.Just forty years ago, Singapore was a war-battered British
> > port,which had rapidly growing,poor,uneducated population living in slums
> > and households.Singapore struggled along until 1965,when it became an
> > independent nation with prime minister Yew in firm control.Forty years
> > later,75% of families,the previous slum-dwellers own their homes.Despite a
> > few harsh measures ( eg,forced savings),Singaporeans are happy with their
> > paternalistic government.
> > KJD

Claim your space online! Share your world for free! Have a blast with MSN Spaces!