KJD,

In the case of Singapore, its a country by itself and is ruled
basically by a dictator. Thus the government is answerable to itself,
and people have no rights, and bureaucracy is cut-short.

As for Guwahati, the size may be small compared to a Singapore, but
the City is answerable in some capacity to the the DC, the GOA, which
in turn to the GOI.

Its not as if the mayor of Guwahati can rule with an iron fist to
enforce cleaniness.
In Singapore even chewing gum is banned (so I have heard). Do you
think its possible for the mayor, the CM, Governor or even the PM ban
tamul-paan chewing?

--Ram