No, it is not in Delhi. Some concerned and enlightened citizens in Guwahati have organized similar garbage pick up and Mridul Bhuyan is right with his complaint.
I know of one organization that has been formed by Mrs. Kamal Kumari Baruah ( mother of Geeta Deka who passed away) and my aunt Dr. Trishna Mahanta. The organization uses contractor/s to provide the service. These two people live at two ends of the city. So I assume it is a citywide organization.
But the complaint is the same. The organization charges Rs. 50 per month per household for this garbage pick up. Most pay to keep their neighborhoods clean but there are some who have defaulted and some complain that Rs. 50 is too much.
Dilip

"Alpana B. Sarangapani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Here, even people prefer to throw their garbage to roads instead of paying Rs.30/-pm to the >garbage pickers.

This is in Delhi, I assume. At least the garbage pickers are available there. In Guwahati, 'poisa dileu paaboloi naai'. And where would they even dump it?

>The principle prevailing here is 'keep your home clean, throw the garbage >outside' :-)

I agree, that is the common attitude there - all over India.

>From: "mridul bhuyan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CC: Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>Subject: Re: [Assam] It takes a village
>Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:40:22 +0530

Here, even people prefer to throw their garbage to roads instead of paying Rs.30/-pm to the garbage pickers. The principle prevailing here is 'keep your home clean, throw the garbage outside' :-)

Mridul Bhuyan

Claim your space online! Share your world for free! Have a blast with MSN Spaces! _______________________________________________