Rickshaw pullers, labourers go missing in Assam:-
Guwahati | May 20, 2005 2:43:42 PM IST

Guwahati, May 20 : Until just the other day, streets across Assam were
crowded with cycle rickshaws and there was no dearth of workers for
construction companies and road contractors.

But today commuters in many Assamese cities and towns are stranded
with rickshaw pullers doing the vanishing trick, while contractors
find their regular workforce virtually missing from their sites.

The sudden disappearance of rickshaw pullers and other workers is a
direct fallout of the recent controversy in Assam over hounding of
illegal Bangladeshi migrants from the state.

"Until Wednesday we had up to a hundred workers, but all of sudden we
find that the entire workforce has simply vanished. We do not know
where they disappeared," said Mukul Das, a road contractor.

Thousands of Bengali speaking workers were engaged by local
contractors in brick kilns, road and building construction works. A
large number also pulled rickshaws.

While some say these workers are illegal Bangladeshi migrants, others
dismiss such charges.

"Just because they speak the Bengali language, practice a particular
religious faith, and resemble Bangladeshis, you cannot dub them as
foreigners," said Chandan Sarkar, a ruling Congress party legislator
in Assam.

During the past fortnight, thousands of Bengali speaking workers have
been fleeing several cities after an unidentified group began
distributing leaflets asking them to leave or face action.

The group has been sending messages through mobile telephones and
distributing fliers asking locals not to employ "illegal foreigners".

"I have met people who had fled their workplaces out of fear and
panic. But many of them that I met were genuine Indian citizens that I
had known since decades," another Congress party leader said.

The issue has taken a political turn with the Assam government
accusing the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Rastriya Swayamsevak
Sangh (RSS) of trying to foment communal riots in the state.

The issue assumes immense political ramifications in a state where
minority Muslim votes have always been the deciding factor in any
state elections. Muslims account for about 30 percent of Assam's 26
million people.

With assembly elections scheduled for early next year, the Congress
party is trying its best to keep its traditional Muslim vote bank
intact by taking a strident posture on the issue.

"We do not want any foreigners in our state, but we cannot allow
anybody to take law in their hands to detect and deport illegal
Bangladeshis," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told IANS.

Assam shares a 272 km border with Bangladesh, a vast stretch remaining
unfenced with allegations that large-scale infiltration from across
the border was threatening the region's demographic profile.

Dhaka denies charges of illegal infiltration of their citizens into India.

(IANS)