Dear Chan Da,

You can definitely take me on. :-). I will not mind. But am I wrong in saying that Assamese people are the laziest of all? Let's take an example from our part of Assam.

How many times in a year, our people indulge in farming? Only once in a year. Does they try their hand on growing vegetables? Except some vegetables, which doesn't require much labour, they'll never lay their hands on even if they have enough land. In our part of Assam, each family (I am talking about villages) has an average of two 'pura' of land. Do they utilise their land fully, compared to Bihar, UP, Punjab & Haryana. In these states of India, they do two or three crops simultaneously. In our part of Assam, do they ever think of doing that inspite of being not so well off. What's this that is preventing them from trying their hands inspite of having all the resources in abundance? Even the weather God is also in favour of them compared to other states.

Next one. Suppose an assamese youth is offered two jobs. One with a salary of Rs.20,000/- in Delhi and another with Rs.10,000/- in Assam considering all other conditions same. Which job will he take up? I bet he'll stay back in Assam and content with it instead of venturing into Delhi. This is what I have seen in case of some of my friends. They got good offers in Delhi. Instead they preferrred to stay back in Assam. Why? What will you call them?

In our part of Assam have you ever seen a rickshaw puller or a barber or a cobbler, who is an Assamese. Now the question can they handle such jobs? Yes, they can. But, they'll never do it. May be its, their self-esteem, laziness, whatever it may be.

I'll tell you a personal story. My father is the middle one among the five brothers. Out of the five, four are working outside and settled in some other places. So, about ten 'pura' of land is owned by the second brother. Now, he is no more in this world. He had only one son. Now, he is looking after all this 'ten' pura of land. Being in Sibsagar, my father used to hire some labourers also to help him during the crops. Now, with this plot of land my grandfather used to generate enough money to cater to his family of about 15/20 persons. But now his worthy grandson, can't even manage his family of four with this plot of land. He too works very hard (?) from 7'o clock in the morning till 10 o'clock in the morning. All the long three hours in a single day. (I saw our uncles getting up at 3 o'clock in the night and work till 11 o'clock and again in the eveing for 3/4 hours.) What will you call him? He manages to find time to come to Sibsagar to enjoy movies, but not enough time atleast to utilise the labourers, engaged to help him.

These are very few examples, I have seen in my own family and friends. I'll write about more if I can find some time. I am waiting to hear your part of reasoning. :-)

Regard
Mridul

Job hunting? Get the right one! Log on to www.timesjobs.com TODAY