Martin Ward wrote:
> > No space is wasted except, possibly, at the origin of the pool, and
> > in aligning to the start of the statement following the literal
> > pool.
>
> So this isn't entirely correct: the last segment may have padding bytes.

A documentation update was included in APAR PH34824 which among
other changes modified that statement to the following:

  Apart from any alignment padding for literals referenced by
  relative address, no space is wasted except, possibly, at the
  origin of the pool, and in aligning to the start of the
  statement following the literal pool.

Such updates are normally completed within a few days, but for
some reason this one seems to have gone astray.  I have chased
it up.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK