LOCTR may not help with literals, but it can help with macros that generate a
DC. Instead of branching around the constant, put a LOCTR before and after it.

From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf
of Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 8:43 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Base-less macros

In a huge number of cases, programs using relative branch are not
base-less. They have no "code base register" but that does not mean they
are base-less.
For the most part, z/OS has simply decided that we will not worry about
"no base register at all" cases when customers use our macros. We expect
addressability to a static area where literals go. So no "code base
register" but a "static data base register".

I didn't follow how LOCTR would help unless accompanied by LARL. Without
the LARL, you still need addressability to the area built from the data
within the LOCTR section. And if you have such addressability then you
could have your LTORG within that LOCTR-defined area too so that anyone's
macros could use literals.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design