On Oct 18, 2009, at 3:16 AM, Jean-Pierre van Melis wrote:

>> First, suggestion, turn off the bug in qmail, it is not the place
>> for it, if you want it, look to make a filter in ASSP that does this.
>
> I think you have to get back to the basics...
>
> First of all qmail's behavior is NOT a bug. That message is not
> according to specs. Even repairing the message by a mailer is
> explicitly mentioned as bad behavior.

I disagree, I am not calling bare lf rejection a bug.  I am calling
qmails behavior to temp reject, and not perm reject, a bug, which it
clearly is, as per rfc.

> The sender has a bug, so (optionally) refusing these mails in ASSP
> is a good idea. One should stop a malformed message as early in the
> chain as possible...

You will be whitelisting a lot of hosts.

> Another mailer in the chain could accept the message and later on a
> mailer doesn't. The only way to inform the sender is through a NDR
> which may create backscatter....

Yes, another concern, to me, making it better to just accept it.

> The only "misconfiguration" on qmail is that it doesn't have
> extensive logging. Something which hasn't been necessary for 7 years.

I am near certain you could get it to log, there is a bug, it should
not return temp failure for something that has no chance of recovery.