On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Fritz Borgstedt wrote:

> schreibt:
>> I still think it would improve ASSP if it would log MTA's response
>> code which it is proxying...
>
> You may try the newest 1.6.0

Fritz, please see my previous email in this thread.  Do you think this
is such a good idea?  This is a qmail bug, there is even a patch for
it from what I understand.

Qmail should not be sending temporary failure on something that is not
possible for it to be resolved no matter how many times the sending
MTA tries again.

I can see this only causing problems.  The ASSP -> MTA (Internal ->
Internal) has full rights to talk to each other, usually by white list
of IP.  Usually also on the same 100Mb or 1 Gb lan.  A well crafted
attack could use this to their advantage to find ASSP and qmail
setups, or any number of similar cases, and generate massive repeated
logging data from MTA back to ASSP, thereby overloading it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think ASSP should make
concessions to deal with something that is the bug of someone elses
MTA.  Maybe "rewrite bare lf" as a option in ASSP, but I still do not
believe that is the correct route.  Simply fix the MTA, that is the
correct route.

Thanks Fritz