I think you completely underestimate the power of a mail loop and the
action it can take on a local to local system.  Not that this is a
mail loop, but qmail was returning a wrong response.  A try again
later response, if you could craft a way to make hundreds of those
happen per second, you very well can and will overload any system that
has excessive logging.