> This is precisely the process I currently do manually.

I do that too, although in my case I've a couple scripts
handing that (copying assp.pl to versions\assp<ver>.pl
replacing the current assp.pl and restarting it) that's why
I think that having such a code inside ASSP (or either
as a separate "pl" script) may be useful; as a note and
since we're at it, I know that carefully planning the ASSP
update (download, no restart) and the restart timinings
(assuming you DO that, I don't at the moment) may help
in solving this "issue" but being able to tell ASSP "fetch
the new version, install it, but only restart at X" may be
a good thing