Dinesh Nair wrote:

On 10/09/05 04:07 Jeremy McNamara said the following:

It very clearly states in the README in the Asterisk source TLD:

Specific permission is also granted to OpenSSL and OpenH323 to link with Asterisk.

LINK WITH ASTERISK - A fork is not asterisk.

i'm failing to understand this. person A downloads asterisk from www.asterisk.org, links in open{ssl,h323} and this is ok.

person B downloads asterisk from www.asterisk.org, modifies some GPLed asterisk code, links in open{ssl,h323} and distributes sources to the whole shebang (including the modifications) , and this is not ok ?

i dont think this is the way the GPL and the linking waiver works, but then IANAL either.

You raised the same question I did in another post.

The fallacy being promoted here is that "A fork is not asterisk"

A fork is asterisk with modifications. If I change one character of the source I have the equivalent of a fork as far as licensing and legal issues are concerned. If I start a community project based on my one-character change it is called a fork.

I am running 3 types of asterisk on test sytems. I have it locally compiled. I have it installed from official debian packages. I have it installed from xorcom.com debian packages. All 3 are modifications to "Official Asterisk". So I really have 3 forks of asterisk running on my systems.

Anyway, GPL does not grant perpetual dictatorship. The Digium folks know that. You notice they are not threatening anyone here.