trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 12:42 -0400, Paul wrote:
That's why the open source version of staroffice became openoffice.org rather than openoffice(somebody else owns that). Maybe digium needs to consider allowing a name like openasterisk or asteriskorg to be used freely in order to preserve rights for Asterisk(tm)?

Why if someone wants to fork asterisk and call it openpbx they are free
under the terms of the GPL to do exactly that.  WHy do they have to get
permission from digium to use an alternate name selected by digium?  The
GPL was not designed to give developers so much power like that, instead
it was designed to allow people to do exactly what is happening.  All
the heating emotions over someone saying 'hey this is a good thing, but
I wanna put my persoinal touches to it' I just dont understand.

If people dont like forks dont GPL your code.  Its that simple.  If you
want GPLed code expect forks, and infact relish them because it says
that someone somewhere is stating you did a good enough job, otherwise
they would start from scratch.
What I was suggesting is that the trademarked name should not be used as the name of a gpl package if you want to control its usage by distros or individuals. I never heard of this before with gpl programs. You download foo.tar.gz and build foo. The distros produce foo.rpm and foo.deb packages.