Thanks Lonnie.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Lonnie Abelbeck [mailto:li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 4:22 PM
To: AstLinux Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] 403 Forbidden

Hi Dan,

Great to hear you solved your issue.

While your flash drive may be the issue, I have some surprisingly old
SanDisk CF cards still working.

Also setting variables to "" and not gibberish seems more deterministic
rather than randomness.

Lonnie

On Jun 3, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Dan Ryson wrote:

> Lonnie,
>
> Thanks for the refresher on apcupsd.  That's exactly what I did - and
> that part seems to be working just fine.  I also appreciate the
> reminder on where the web configuration files are located. For the
> life of me, I couldn't find 'em.
>
> It looks like corruption in /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/network.conf was
> responsible for this symptom.  Specifically, HTTPSDIR and HTTPSCERT
> were both set to "" (nothing).  After setting these to the correct
> values ("/stat/var/www" and "/mnt/kd/ssl/webinterface.pem"
> respectively) and rebooting, the web interface came right back up and is
working perfectly.

> As to what caused the corruption...  I don't know.  But this may be a
> reminder that the flash drive is overdue for replacement.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Take care,
>
> Dan
>

> On 6/3/2013 2:16 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I don't see a related reason why the web interface is not responding.  If
you have ssh or console access, a "ps" and "ss -an" should show if lighttpd
and ports 80 and 443 are LISTEN'ed on.  Of course if any of your
/mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/ files got corrupted, then that could explain things.

>> A refresher on "APC UPS Monitoring & Shutdown"
>>
>> The apcupsd daemon is started if:
>>
>>   1) UPSTYPE and UPSCABLE rc.conf variables are defined.
>>   2) The file /mnt/kd/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf exists.
>>
>> Both methods are supported via the Network tab in the web interface.
>>
>> In general #1 is all that is needed, which sets "NETSERVER on" and "NISIP
127.0.0.1" which allows the command line tool "apcaccess status" to access
stats locally, which the Status tab uses.

>> If, you want the AstLinux box to act as a server to other apcupsd
clients, then do the following:

>> $ mkdir /mnt/kd/apcupsd
>> $ cp /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf /mnt/kd/apcupsd/
>>
>> Edit "/mnt/kd/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf" line from "NISIP 127.0.0.1" to "NISIP
0.0.0.0" .
>> Note this can be done via the web interface as soon as
"/mnt/kd/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf" created.

>> $ service apcupsd stop
>> $ service apcupsd init
>> --or-- "Restart UPS Daemon" via the web interface
>>
>> BTW: If memory serves me, there may be some other settings (timeouts or
such) that may want to be tweaked if acting as a server, which is why we
require the use of "/mnt/kd/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf" when acting as a server
rather than simply creating another rc.conf variable for the NISIP option.

>> Dan, if you think your HTTPS values got corrupted, a quick check with the
following should help.

>> $ grep '^HTTPS' /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> $ grep '^HTTPS' /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/*.conf
>>
>> Lonnie
>>

>> On Jun 3, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Dan Ryson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I'm suddenly unable to access the AstLinux web interface.  Instead, I
get a rather unfriendly "403 - Forbidden" response.  Any thoughts on how to
best rescue this wayward machine would be greatly appreciated.

>>> Perhaps yesterday's sequence of events (noted below) had something to do
with this.  I'll provide them to be complete:
>>>     . Commercial Power Failure about 4:17 PM
>>>     . After operating on UPS five minutes, a power-hungry CentOS server
was manually shut down.  This remarkably extended battery run-time.
>>>     . About 5:20 PM, power was restored to the UPS and thus the PBX by a
portable generator.
>>>     . About 7:00 PM, commercial power was restored.
>>>     . Realizing the need for the power-hungry CentOS server to
automatically shut down next time, I installed and configured apcupsd on
that machine to connect to the AstLinux PBX via the LAN.  However, it failed
to connect.
>>>     . Troubleshooting revealed that the apcupsd program on AstLinux was
running with NISIP=127.0.0.1.  According to the documentation, this only
permits connections only via localhost.
>>>     . In checking the web interface, I found that the UPS Type and Cable
settings were both showing "disabled."  However, testing using apcupsd
command line tools indicated that apcupsd was running.  Likewise, settings
previously entered under Safe Asterisk & SIP Monitoring were disabled and
all entries were blank.
>>>     . Since the web interface doesn't permit tweaks to the NISIP
parameter, a manual apcupsd.conf file was created and saved it in a newly
created /mnt/kd/apcupsd/ folder.
>>>     . Upon a reboot, I was greeted with the 403 error.
>>> I suspect that in addition to the apcupsd settings, other items on the
network page also vanished, including the HTTPS Server Options.  Is this
something I can access and update via SSH?