It may also be the different 802.11 layer; it doesn't have to be ath5k specific.

I know there's an outstanding bug with FreeBSD (which uses net80211,
like madwifi does) with power save queue management timers being
off-whack and that appears like this, also I found this comment in the
source:

                /*
                 * NB: We used to deauth the station but it turns out
                 * the Blackberry Curve 8230 (and perhaps other devices)
                 * sometimes send the wrong AID when WME is negotiated.
                 * Being more lenient here seems ok as we already check
                 * the station is associated and we only return frames
                 * queued for the station (i.e. we don't use the AID).
                 */

That's in hostap_recv_pspoll(), which is handling the power-save polling stuff.

Good luck!

Adrian