On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Piotr Kaczorek
<piotrkaczo...@bluetrace.eu> wrote:
> W dniu 05.06.2011 21:13, Bob Copeland pisze:
>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Piotr Kaczorek
>> <piotrkaczo...@bluetrace.eu>  wrote:
>>> Sorry, I pressed reply instead of reply all.

>>> I attach gziped packet dumps (hope it will work - I'm using mailing lists
>>> for the first time).
>>> There are two cap files - one from my SE P1i (on which requests work as they
>>> should), and one from BB Curve 8520 (on which I can associate but can't open
>>> website). Both contain association, and two requests to 'made up' url's.
>>> All requests should respond with the same content as my setup is quite
>>> untypical - requests are intercepted with iptables, and static website
>>> placed on hotspot is served in response to any request. There is also
>>> dnsmasq responding with my hotspot's IP to all DNS queries.
>> Well, one thing missing in both of these captures is beacons which are
>> kind of important since they have the traffic indication maps.  The BB
>> is sending the correct AID for PS-poll requests.  I do see some
>> successful PS-polls like packet #3089-3091 - where the AP delivers an
>> arp reply.
>>
>> I'll keep looking for some discrepancy but it would help if we could get
>> a capture with beacons.  FWIW, I've attached the script I use to collect
>> data -- not perfect and may need some tweaking for different setups, but
>> it grabs a lot of useful data:
>>
>> - monitor mode captures from both the sta and the secondary card
>> - dmesg, preferably with mac80211 debugging on
>> - tracepoints from ath5k and mac80211 (must have enabled them in
>>    kernel config and have added ath5k_trace.py[1] to
>>    ~/.trace-cmd/plugins/)
>>
>> Once you start setup.sh then you need to associate with the AP in the
>> usual way (script assumes they live on channel 11) and it grabs 5 minutes
>> of data or until you ctrl-c it.
>>
>> [1] http://bobcopeland.com/srcs/ath5k_trace.py
>>
> This script should be run on my hotspot or on 'external sniffer' (e.g.
> my laptop)? What does it require? I get:
>    File "ath5k_trace.py", line 1, in <module>
>     import tracecmd
> ImportError: No module named tracecmd
> What setup.sh are you writing about?

setup.sh was attached to the email.  I run it on my laptop.  I mostly
use this script for debugging STA issues, so in my case I get a capture
from ath5k acting as a STA, and a USB ar9170 on the same machine to act
as the external sniffer.  Since you are interested in ath5k as an AP,
some things would have to change (e.g., I wouldn't bother with a monitor
mode capture on the AP, but it might be worthwhile to get the driver
trace) -- you could do something like connect both the laptop and the
hotspot via the wired interface and start/stop the driver trace via ssh.

ath5k_trace.py needs to be added to ~/.trace-cmd/plugins/ and run via
trace-cmd, not directly (as invoked by setup.sh).  It extracts data from
the ath5k tracepoints and writes out a pcap file and some general
debugging info.

YMMV - this is just an example of the kind of data I collect for my own
debugging.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com