On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Piotr Kaczorek
<piotrkaczo...@bluetrace.eu> wrote:
> Sorry, I pressed reply instead of reply all.
>
> W dniu 26.05.2011 14:56, Bob Copeland pisze:
>>
>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Piotr Kaczorek
>> <piotrkaczo...@bluetrace.eu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to me i'ts ath5k issue.
>>>
>>> Since I started this thread I've tried few more chipsets:
>>> VIA (vt6655) - has problems with sending packets, sometimes they are
>>> 'broken'. Most images don't reach mobile phone correctly.
>>> Ralink (rt2561t - rt61pci driver) - works correctly (and also uses
>>> nl80211). Range is poor - maybe it's a matter of hardware i've bought.
>>> Prism (ISL3886 - p54 driver) - works corretly (and also uses nl80211).
>>>
>>> But thanks for pointing this out. It might be issue with ath5k<->
>>> nl80211 cooperation, as well.
>>> Should I post a bug on kernel's bugzilla?
>
> I attach gziped packet dumps (hope it will work - I'm using mailing lists
> for the first time).
> There are two cap files - one from my SE P1i (on which requests work as they
> should), and one from BB Curve 8520 (on which I can associate but can't open
> website). Both contain association, and two requests to 'made up' url's.
> All requests should respond with the same content as my setup is quite
> untypical - requests are intercepted with iptables, and static website
> placed on hotspot is served in response to any request. There is also
> dnsmasq responding with my hotspot's IP to all DNS queries.

Well, one thing missing in both of these captures is beacons which are
kind of important since they have the traffic indication maps.  The BB
is sending the correct AID for PS-poll requests.  I do see some
successful PS-polls like packet #3089-3091 - where the AP delivers an
arp reply.

I'll keep looking for some discrepancy but it would help if we could get
a capture with beacons.  FWIW, I've attached the script I use to collect
data -- not perfect and may need some tweaking for different setups, but
it grabs a lot of useful data:

- monitor mode captures from both the sta and the secondary card
- dmesg, preferably with mac80211 debugging on
- tracepoints from ath5k and mac80211 (must have enabled them in
  kernel config and have added ath5k_trace.py[1] to
  ~/.trace-cmd/plugins/)

Once you start setup.sh then you need to associate with the AP in the
usual way (script assumes they live on channel 11) and it grabs 5 minutes
of data or until you ctrl-c it.

[1] http://bobcopeland.com/srcs/ath5k_trace.py

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com