Henri Sivonen wrote:

On May 8, 2005, at 06:30, Walter Underwood wrote:

White space is not particularly meaningful in some of these languages,
so we cannot expect them to suddenly pay attention to that just so
they can use Atom.

Why not? We expect them not no insert other random characters there. What do the same producers do with XHTML? Opera 7.53 and Safari 1.3 render a space between the second and third Kanji in
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/cjk-whitespace.xhtml

See also Ishida's tests:

http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/white-space-ideograph

Special handling of white-space in CJK context is accounted for in the
CSS2.1 spec (and will be described in more detail in CSS3 Text).

There will be plenty of content from other formats
with this linguistically meaningless white space.

Why not just get rid of it in the producer end like you have to get rid of form feeds?

Because form feeds are normally not used in source code files whereas line breaks and indendation often are?

~fantasai