On 5/16/05, Bill de hÓra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The spec allows anyone to add stuff to the Atom namespace, so the IETF
> > will have to read everyone's documents before they add something to
> > the Atom namespace.
>
> The spec does no such thing; that's a psychotic interpretation at best.

What? If the spec doesn't ban it, it allows it. Why shouldn't we do
what Julian's DAV spec did? [0]

> If people are going to add stuff to the Atom namespace, then they're
> going to add stuff to the Atom namespace, irrespective of what the spec
> says. Your options are to live with that or enforce the building of
> machinery that will reject the markup of people who do it. To build that
> machinery you'll have to have an ability to proof-check the markup. To
> proof-check the markup you have to have to ensure its legal names and
> their combinations can be enumerated at design time - at a minimum.

I am actually fine with going this route, but we should get rid of the
syntactic constraints on link @rel if we're going to have a dictionary
free-for-all in element names. What's the point, really.

Robert Sayre

[0] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg15255.html