Martin,

> The general idea seems to be that conversion to HTML is good for
> human consumption with a browser, and for human navigation in an
> archive. message/rfc822 is the original, and may be very good for
> reuse in a mailer (e.g. for replying), except that mailers don't
> support it much at the moment.
>
> <atom:content type="message/rfc822"
> src="http://www.example.org/lists/list/archive/12345"/>

Unfortunately, that's bad Atom.  Section 4.1.3.1 of the format spec
says;

  On the atom:content element, the value of the "type" attribute MAY be
  one of "text", "html", or "xhtml".  Failing that, it MUST be a MIME
  media type, but MUST NOT be a composite type (see Section 4.2.6 of
  [MIMEREG]).  If the type attribute is not provided, Atom Processors
  MUST behave as though it were present with a value of "text".

where "composite type" is defined to be multipart/* and message/*.  If
the intent of that restriction was to avoid the whole non-XML
attachments issue, then it seems to have failed to account for the use
of the "src" attribute to include the data by reference rather than by
value.

I'm sorry that I didn't notice this earlier. 8-(

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca
Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies   http://www.coactus.com