A. Pagaltzis wrote:

> At the very least, the normalization procedure that the spec
> RECOMMENDS should contain language about stripping surrounding
> whitespace.

I too would like to see that added to the recommended normalization
rules in section 4.2.6.  That would make my job easier if somebody were
to challenge why I produced a warning in such a situation.

As it stands now, the spec does NOT clearly outlaw leading and trailing
whitespace from ids, and DOES require anybody the string to be kept
character by character equivalent whenever an entry is "relocated,
migrated, syndicated, republished, exported or imported".

If Graham was truly serious about wanting to do his part[1] to ensure
that atom:id is implemented properly, I would expect any atom:ids that
he mints from here on out to contain leading and trailing spaces, tabs,
and newlines (in a variety of Mac, DOS, and Unix styles).

But I wouldn't recommend it.  To me, doing so would be akin to mailing
fragile equipment and paying for insurance, in the hopes of getting the
opportunity to express indignation at the post office.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg16243.html