Re: Let's really dig in to Tolkiin and Lord of the Rings,

Nice post Joseph. I concur with your thinking on the book to film adaptations. To be honest, and i may be frowned upon for saying it, but if they didn't make the hobbit an epic, the only thing it would be is an epic one watch, go in the box never to be seen again. I think the epic nature of the lord of the rings films drew a lot of people to watch, i think Jackson has a good idea of his audience after 10 years so, we now get an epic hobbit triligy, whether Tolkien fanatics want it or not lol. Don't get me wrong, i'm just as likely as the next Tolkien fan to pick apart the literature from cover to cover, but i see the films as separate, yet similarly related works of art.