Re: Books by Stephen King

Well that is weerd about the titles, especially if "the shining" would be gramatical in Danish. I suspect the thing about "evil's hotel" though was what the film title was translated as, this has happened before, look at the way the film version of the first Harry Potter book was still called "Sorcerer's stone" in America as was the book published afterwards.

Beware! further doctor sleep spoilage below!

Guitarman , I do agree completely on the psychic turn table being cool, indeed the psychic duel stuff was really rather awsome, I just wish there was a bit more to Abra than that. With the True Knot still being out there though i don't know, since only 15 of them actually left, and they did it in fairly isolated couples, with the implication that either they would die of the measles, or that they couldn't kill enough kids on their own to survive, still it might be interesting if more of them did show up.

I'v e not read Joyland so can't say for certain on similarities, but I have noticed King has reused ideas in the past, for example several have featured alcoholics, and writers, and several more have featured people wandering the highways of America as pennyless drifters doing day work, either good characters on hard times, salem's lot, or bad characters looking to do nasty stuff, like The stand.

I've also noticed King has a thing about tough old retired naighbors who end up as the main characters' side kick, jud from pet cemetory, or the sherrif from the Castlerock books, and indeed Dick Halloran in the Original Shining.

I suppose though any writer has ideas or tropes they like to repeat somewhat, especially when they have such a large catalogue of work to go on, heck, I've just finished my third Robin Hobb series and I've noticed she has a bit of a thing about duty bound overbearing fathers, or on the other extreme amazingly tough old ladies who prove themselves more than worthy of taking charge when the time arises.

And lets not even start! with different character tropes in the wheel of time :d

Interestingly enough, I'm now reading stealheart by brandon sanderson, and it's amazing how many similarities that book bares to his first Mistborn novel.