Re: Where do you get your music?

Your techno-recalcitrance is incurable, Mr. Dark. A terminal case, I fear. I was just in iTunes on Doze recently--in version 12.1.3 for XP with JAWS, in fact--and although I found myself gritting my teeth and swearing and tabbing a lot for lack of other options, I did eventually figure it all out and learn keystrokes necessary to jump all over the place in short order. I'm certainly sympathetic to your position that you should (a) have choice and (b) be able to practically exercise it, but since it wasn't long before everything snapped into place and I found myself back in la-la land again, I'm wondering if maybe the real problem is simply that you don't have the absurd levels of naive optimism that I do. big_smile

And as I think I've said before now, albeit that you do need to put a bit more work in and may even sometimes need scripts, it is entirely possible to achieve consistency with tags and file system, such that either your own organisational structure remains in place and iTunes merely refers to those files, or iTunes maintains folder and file names that are, in fact, very friendly to filesystem-based playback, including from within iTunes itself if you have the associations set up. It's the default behaviour, actually. Obviously if you don't need anything from iTunes that you don't already have from your organisational arrangement and players that's not a very interesting revelation, but I can assure you that it helps me enormously. I understand your argument though; here's an old thread from an Apple user who prefers WinAmp on Apple's support community, which makes the case for the existing, filesystem-based, structured, tagless approach.

Now for everyone, the real question is: what about audiobooks t hat are DRM-free? Is downpoor.com actually any good? Is there a way to strip Audible DRM in a pure (i.e. lossless, without re-encoding) manner?