Re: A seemingly strange question, but one that really needs an answer, ple

Supernova  has been using the left and right shift or control keys as modifyers for as long as I can remember.
I hink the two alt keys have problems distinguishing, sinse I recall someone trying to use them and not doing so well, but left and right shift or control should be fine, after all Bsc used them in Pipe 2 for controlling your fists when you punched, and you can as Cae said give a remap option

The system sounds interesting and one you've considered along with  what you want for the default controls.
Also personally I've never been that much of a fan of the numberpad or for letter keys for spaced controls, sinse it always seems weerd to me after playing on joysticks and pads to have the up key not directly above but above and slightly to one side given the slant of a keyboar, for example if you had a s and d as your arrows, w is sort of pointing up and left on most machines not streight, so personally I've always preferd alpha nume ric controls for letter keys, eg, press h to check health, and arrows or other spaced out keys like the shifts or controls for controls in real space.

The numbpad is also an option and of course doesn't have the space problem, though purely out of the numbpad being primarily used for Supernova I've got out of the habbit of using it much in programs, plus of course laptops don't have one anyway.

All of that though is personal bias on my part and really control schemes are pretty flexible and easy to get used to whatever.
Still to your initial question, shifts or controls are fine as far as I know so long as Ironcross said that you can distinguish them in the code.