Re: When is the last time anyone has read a braille book?

Here's someone writing something which I assume is supposed to be open-sourcing a Quixote-style display: http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article … e-display/
I expect this sort of thing to be loud and of questionable speed. Also, it only works with one line, and you'd need to be reading it through an opening, which could get kinda awkward.
The last time I looked into this sort of thing, I considered something more like an escalator--instead of a rod for each column, you'd have something that wraps around the motor. This struck me as mechanically dubious (with the rods, you don't have to cram all the motors so close together, and would this help with multiline displays, or would that introduce more mechanical concerns? Also, line spacing). Upside is, combination rings would be smaller than lines (I keep forgetting the formula for how big these are. 2^k-k? Bleh, I just remember coming up with a dotlength of 10 for one configuration.)

The author of the linked article predicts that building a 40 cell display would cost around $200. I'll have to reread it to figure out the why.