Re: Monthly chat July 2016

I feel as though I need to do this Crazy Party thing. Somehow I manage to procrastinate playing games, too. :-/

The training is going fine. It was the national convention I was complaining about. And considering that it got better *checks time of last post* about three hours after I said that, I think I'm blaming the hotel's banana-nut pancakes for containing mind-altering levels of sugar.

But no seriously I hate crowds and crowds plus unfamiliar reluctant environment is a recipe for nega-quitting.
But I eventually found my way to sessions and exhibits that were actually worthwhile, and I managed to sleep/walk away the soul-crushing bloodsugar spike, and I sorta figured out the layout well enough and when people go where as to do a not quite 180... maybe 120? 135? ... it's better now.

Training is ... I shouldn't say great, because I can see things I know Dark would complain about and I agree with them for the most part. But I walked a mil e last Saturday in search of a fastfood place that is totally not worth walking a mile in Louisiana on a sunny day in late June for, because I felt like it. I also don't like talking to strangers or asking for directions (It isn't that I have a rational problem with them, per se. It's more that I freak out for reasons mysterious and I don't like that feeling so avoid it as much as possible), and managed to find it without asking anyone but Siri... and Siri gave up half way there so I had to rely on my mysteriously perfect judgment of distance based on what she already told me.

Ironically enough, I think the class that's going to kill me is technology. Essays and seeking out strangers and obtaining their contact information and blaaaaah. Can't you just teach me the spells you get when you put 58 skill points into Jaws? ... No? Ok.

I didn't even get the name of the braille display that APH had at their exhibit. Was it Orbits? It's http://www.transformingbraille.org/ , so I guess so. I was pretty much sold after I pressed the panning button and saw that the refresh rate is reasonable enough for the majority of what I'd use it for. It's smaller than a Braille Light M20, IIRC, but still has 20 cells. True, 200 cells would be 10 times better, but the fact that it's cheaper than a laptop and only marginally slower than something from FS puts it on my Christmas list.

Arqmeister wrote:

I'm naturally a rather quiet and secluded guy, so that type of program doesn't sound like something i would get along well with at all.

I get the feeling that I'm more quiet and secluded than you, but maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, I can tolerate it so far, but maybe that's just because a lot of the nothing that's happened in the past 10 years flipped something around . I should have done it 10 years ago... but I am almost certain I would have hated the atmosphere quite a lot and avoided everyone as much as possible. ... Although, from the outside, I'm not sure anyone could distinguish that from how I am doing things yikes.

Arqmeister wrote:

I have heard that there ways of training are rather one size fits all and perhaps even a bit draconian. What are your thoughts?

Yep! And what's more, my travel instructor is scarily good at picking up on subtle details and cheating on technique in his presence would be harder than just doing it his way.
Until last week or so, I was pretty skeptical that the techniques they were teaching were especially useful, and the general inflexibility implied by how they talk about it fits the "One Size Fits All" reputation perf ectly. And there's this scary unstated expectation that "of course you're going to be involved with the NFB... you are already, right?"
Yet somehow I manage to only grumble about these things in my head and in the monthly chat threads and extract what I can from it all. I think the philosophy (even though the way they go on about it is... well, it is) does create an atmosphere that I can use. And I don't really dislike anyone (ah... well, there's one person I hope never to have a conversation about anything important with, but dislike is a strong word) and feel like the benefits (so far!) outweigh the annoyances. And the annoyances aren't as pervasive as I was afraid they'd be. (Maybe if seminar was more than twice a week, I'd go crazy...er.)

I also get the impression that long-time NFB students have complained about aspects of the training (I think my former roommate complained about woodshop being pointless at one point, and he's been doing NFB training since he was like 7 or 8).
Ah... yeah. I sorta-kinda don't like comparing myself to people based on a few little details... but I noticed that my roommate would slide his hand across the wall on the way from the kitchen to his room, and when we went out to a chicken wings place that he likes (I have never seen so many varieties of chicken wings in my life. I think we wound up with 48 between the three of us who went), I was the only one who just got up and looked for the napkins/plasticware by the drink fountain. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I look horribly clumsy and confused whenever I try to go anywhere.