Re: The audiogames that make you go alas!

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where I can get the Unseen Alpha Missions (aura) game? I tried it when I was like 13 I think, which was 10 years ago... couldn't really get the hang of it, but I want to try it again. But I haven't found it lately. I know there probably isn't much to it, but I'm still curious about it. For some reason it reminded me of Space Colony Cleaner with the sort of 8 bit 22K sound, and if I remember right there was some bubbling sounds that sounded like the acid in that game... but that was a long time ago and is just one of my strange geeky observations that by now has very little basis I'm sure. Lol
As for games that I thought could've been made into more. I'd have to say Technoshock is one of them. I'm one of the few people who hacked it out and beat the game. Not without cheat codes and a lot of help on the Technoshock topic mind you, but I beat the game twice. It's one of the most brutal audio g ames I have ever played, and could've really turned into something remarkable had the mechanics been less clunky.
I also think Hunter and Tarzan Junior could've turned into a lot more as well. I remember when I purchased Hunter, I was just turning 12. I used to record stupid reviews of audiogames on cassette, just holding my cheap recorder up to the speaker and trying to shout over it... don't even ask for the recordings as I deleted most of them, but when I figured out how to play the Hunter demo levels I did record them and tried to explain them. Then my mom purchased the game for me. After a few days I got the hang of the other 6 levels and within a few weeks I had beaten the game on easy. Now with that said, it is damn hard to beat the game on higher difficulties. I can beat Troop2 on insane with the baby black hole mission. I can beat pipe2 on insane. I can beat both Classic Troop and Classic Pipe on insane as well. But I can't beat Hunter on normal. So maybe replay value comes in to account for the $35 we paid for the game, but still. After a short time even at 12 I felt the game was lacking some substance, and it was one of the most complex games I'd played until that point.
Tarzan Junior was a bit better, though after about an hour after purchase I felt similarly, that the game was a little shallow. By that point I was 14, and had been playing with stuff like Monkey Business and SOD, both of which I didn't understand at all and still struggle with sometimes. So TJ was a sort of break from that but still wasn't enough to really keep me entertained.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying these were bad games at all, just that I wished more had been made out of them, which is the intent of this topic. I think the topic idea is a great one.
I could also add Super Liam to the list. I again purchased it when I was 12 or so, and while it took me over a full month to actually beat it, I found myself want ing more than a handful of cheat codes. Super Liam 2 has been in the works for ages now, not sure quite how I'll feel about it if it's ever released, since there's something about the non-platforming side scrollers that I actually like. I actually like The Gate for sticking to traditional things, though if it had more enemies like the BK series which are more terrifying, that would make even a 1d scroller even better. I won't even talk about The Gate in this topic, as it's been bashed to death about 500 times over in other places. But yes, I think it needs much more content to justify the long playing time. Or cut the levels shorter so that I can beat it in an hour or so instead of 3.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dalen lewin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hrvoje via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector