Re: Doctor Who: Big finish productions

The Venusian lullaby is rather amusing, indeed I have a box set of the three  adventures the third doctor had on planet Peladon which all involve it which is cool.

I was particularly amused whenn the Jago and Lightfoot special Jurney to Venus actually gave a reason for wwhy it goes to the same tune as God rest yee merry gentlemen big_smile.

Of course as both a major enthusiast of Doctor who and Gilbert and Sullivan, Dr. who and the Pirates was absolutely awsome! indeed it was my first bf story given to me at the Buxton Gilbert and Sullivan festival by a fellow fan, :d.

What is particularly amusing is that I also once travelled on a five hour train jurney from Buxton (having just finished the light opera festival), to a Dr. who convention where I met Mr. Baker (and yes in real life he's just that loopy, though a good deal less sarcastic), and when he found out I was a G&S fan he treated me to a wonderful rendition of "you may not point" from Ruddigore, ---- actually the song by the principle girl! since apparently he was at an all boys school so whenever they did prodctions he always ended up playing women for some reason big_smile.

The amusing thing of course is that C Baker has actually toured with the Carl Roser company doing exactly those sorts of patter baritone stuff you hear him doing in Dr who and the pirates, indeed I think it's got to the others since recently Mccoy has started doing it as well and I've even seen him playing the Mikado, though hving Mccoy as a sadistic ruler of Japan who enjoys   devising ironic tortures for criminals is a bit of a stretch after Doctor who.

I did myself enjoy The pirates, though i wish there was a little more singing, also I did feel "The sun w ho's raise" (the tune for Sally's main song about commiting suicide), was sort of the wrong choice for that song, being as the original is about a girl feeling happy before her wedding.

I also have a personal issue with Dr Who and the pirates, ---- where the heck was the tenor! big_smile.

Regarding the time war, well I completely agree about 9 and 10's characters changing, and being a method of coping, but it eleven's character just felt a little too all over the place. Too much on quirks and aukwardness and not enough real substance, indeed the so called "dark moment" in the invasion in 2good man goes to war" (which I tend to refer to as when a good show goes to wrong), just fell flat since it seemed more like Steven Mophat just using flimsy excuses to show off all the series monsters, the "oh look here's my silurian firend I met off screen" for example. And I never really got what the hole ridiculous business with Riversong was supposed to be anyway, indeed I much preferd the competant, calm, professor River song we met in Silence in the library with the tenth doctor than the schizo thing she seemed to be with the eleventh doctor (I know it was supposed to be earlier in her timeline, but really, why did she have to be so annoying!).

The eleventh for me really never got the personality that even the 9th doctor had which is a shame.

Regarding the 8th though, i fully well agree, indeed that was about one of the best things Lucy Miller did in her travels. I didn't really like lucy herself, but the setup for the time war and to give the 8th doctor the motivation to actually do something so drastic was awsom.