Re: Manamon, worth playing or not? definitely worth the time!

Dark, a few things.

First and foremost, the link to the Manamon walkthrough - which I admittedly haven't touched in over a month now - is in my signature. Currently hosting it on dropbox.

Second, that's precisely my point. I knew manamon was a pokemon clone, but I still bought it, played it and had fun with it. And that's also why I said what I said earlier about the comparisons. If you want a very pokemon-like experience, play manamon; if you don't like pokemon, manamon probably won't do it for you either.

Third, I'm not necessarily suggesting that manamon be made more and more like pokemon. At best, I'm suggesting that manamon needs more things to make it a better game. There is no competitive metagame for two reasons (the connectivity issue, for one, and the very, very limited movepools and viable manamon, for another). Aaron could improve this exponentially by allowing teachable moves, which would at least vastly change who was good at what. He could also change it by tweaking his online functionality/springing for a server. As I understand it, servers don't exactly cost hundreds of dollars a month, and he's sold dozens, maybe even hundreds, of copies of this game, so I daresay he could probably afford a small server. Indeed, he's hosting the game already, and you can sometimes download manamon gifts from there, so this could be something he invests in if he wanted to.

Maybe I should send him the file I made, that has like 96 new manamon in it, see if any of those make the cut for a possible manamon 2. I'd love to get in on the ground floor of such a project, and act as the so-called voice of reason, balance-wise. It's where I'm best as a prospective game developer. In any case, all talk of clonelike behaviour aside, manamon isn't busted, it's not something that should be universally panned because it's a clone. That knowledge should do little more tha n inform your course on which way you wish to take going forward as a player/potential customer.