Re: Winamp going to heavens on 20th of December 2013

I have heard good things about Foobar but haven't tried it, so can't comment on that debate, but to be honest all this Itunes import into   library crap,  retag this, restructure that, and  sink the other is needelss over complex, and just seems like Apple  making people run through hoops  unless they buy from the mighty Itunes store or use the almighty Itunes to  wrip their  cds.

As Cw said, I don't really care! about all  these tags and classifications, I prefer to just bang stuff in directories myself and  genre classify them, indeed  in that big  heap of 700 gb I mentioned I can find any audio  book, any podcast, or any peace of music I own in seconds simply because of the way I've organized them, (and again as Slj said,  a person who doesn't know where there music  is on their hd isn't using their computer properly).

Every single thing I own is configured to p lay in exact order, heck, if I play a big folder such as my final fantasy series folder it will play all the  soundtracks from 7,  advent children, 8, 9, 10, disidia in exact release order since that is how I've renamed the files.

That! is why I personally find all this library stuff to be unnecessary  work for little to no bennifit, and indeed given that many of my audio books are individual tracks, or are in series folders in chronological reading order, would actually be a step backwards.

i wouldn't be as hard on apple if there was a  choice, if indeed it could! work like winamp if you want it, just bang in a folder and play it, but  that's not what  Apple have done, indeed if Winamp ever becomes  unusable I'll likely switch to Foobar before using Itunes just for ease of structure.

I agree the library system would make importing to my Iphone easier, but that's about all the bennifit I see, heck,  owning a 1tb  passport drive even makes cloud storage rather superfluous for me, albeit I can see the bennifits to someone who owns many different devices rather than just one pc, one laptop and one Iphone.

Regarding the  ftp thing, It's something I'll likely have to look into, though as I said I've found a way to force Itunes to do what I want by creating a playlist instead of a folder then copying the files into that playlist and deleting it  with all contents when I'm done.

it's irritating, but not impossible,  and a basic usb system where I could just copy folders across and then play them   better.

Again, if people use Itunes for everything, just as Apple wants I imagine there isn't a problem, but frankly if Apple want me to use something it should have the same capabilities as what I've already got plus be better, and Itunes just plane doesn't.

That is also why i'd nev er buy something through Itunes either, unless I could get it out! of itunes and onto my main hd where I could play  it in whatever program I chose (probably winamp), or  copy it onto a usb or whatever.