Re: Remembering a classic, esp pinball

OK, so for various reasons I went a little bit insane and got the game running under Wine on my Mac. Now it's wrapped in an app, I'm already firing it up casually. Strange how that works. Naturally, the experience is totally awesome and beats virtualisation hands down for latency (maybe it comes close when using a USB sound card) even when I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard and a cordless headset using Kleer.

The reasons only make sense to a Mac user who's suddenly realised that the real reason he doesn't play many games is that he's never adventured far enough down this road, in light of such a high probability of failure, born out by past bitter experience. It also helps that virtualisation, while helpful, is still ultimately a barrier, that this Mac install didn't have much to lose by the addition of extra software, that I've been feeling I should chill out more, that I've been questioning a return to Windows at the end of this OS X release cycle in no small part owing to the gaming scene and the abundance of practical solutions, that I've been meaning to do this thing properly with WINE for a while now, and that I'm generally irascible when confounded by stupid limitations caused by mere absence of convenient accessibility even though it takes a great deal to actually goad me into looking for solutions. Now I've got it working, it's absolutely amazing and I wish I'd done it before. It sheds a very positive light on the Mac, actually, and although I'll probably always need virtualisation it points the way to a practical solution to the general problem of audio-gaming on the Mac without virtualisation so long as the game doesn't need the use of a screen reader. If anyone wants to follow this path, and I've now got a working wrapper for ESP Pinball Classic by way of example, let me know. Inspiration can be sought, in the first instance, from this on AppleVis.