Re: getting jaws to work properly with bgt games

I think bgt is doing as much as it can. Basically the following is happening, I'm not an expert in jaws's keyhook, but I'll do my best:
1. Jaws captures all the keys you press. It's basically a gate between your keyboard and the normal keyboard handling in Windows. It captures all keyboard shortcuts, if it is a Jaws keystroke it doesn't send it to the normal peace of software that handles keyboard input(whatever that might be).
Now apparently, when it does send it to Windows, it sends it in such a way that it doesn't work in many games, or in applications where you have to hold down your arrow key. I guess it sends many key press events, instead of a keydown event, from what I have gathered.
Now how bgt overrides this is by destroying jaws's keyhook or gate, how I called it, and putting it's own in it's place. This causes all keyboard shortcuts to work again, except for jaws's, since bgt destroyed the keyhook. So bas ically you have to choose between not playing the game at all, but having jaws function correctly, or playing the game, and not being able to use jaws keyboard shortcuts like control to stop speech.
The reason nvda works flawlessly is because it uses a different keyhook apparently. I have no idea what the difference is, but I know because:
All old games work with nvda out of the box, while in the documentation they often state to shut down jaws.
bgt works with nvda, because nvda allows it to. All philip had to do is implement speech support for nvda, and he did the same thing for jaws. I bet you he spent more time on jaws support than he did with nvda. The other problem is that audiogame programmers don't use Jaws that much, and don't test there games with it. So the fact remains: either use sapi or nvda for games of any kind. THis just isn't a bgt issue.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : joshknnd1982 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sito via Audiogames-reflector