Re: Accessible Antivirus?

I'm currently using Eset Nod32, but you need to stick with version 8, because 9 and 10 really aren't accessible. I tested both versions with JAWS and NVDA, and I actually got myself into a really bad situation where I had managed to set a password to protect the settings, but then it updated itself to the latest version, and I could no longer access anything. I also couldn't uninstall the program, because the password entry dialog was inaccessible, so I had no choice but to format my computer. That really sucked. So, when my subscription is up, I'm not going to pay again unless they get their act together and clean up the accessibility of their product. Obviously, we have no idea how long an older version of something like an antivirus is going to be supported, and paying top dollar for something that's several versions behind seems a bit counterintuitive anyway.

Before I used Eset, I used Sophos for quite awhile. I was relatively happy with it, acce ssibility wise, but I grew increasingly uncomfortable with the fact that all of its interactions took place in the cloud. So, for example, if the internet went down, I wouldn't be able to run a scan. Then again, depending on how you look at it, you might not need to run a scan in the first place if you haven't recently been connected to the internet anyway. They do, however, have a separate offline scanner which I would trust, and have installed just in case I want to get a second opinion, so to speak. That also assumes that you're comfortable with the results of your virus scans being stored on a server.

I've tried Vipre in the past as well, but would not recommend touching that with a 10 foot pole. In the first place, accessibility is slipping, although it's a gradual decline rather than the complete 180 that Eset did. Also, it hogged up more system resources than I care to think about. it also made my computer boot slower than a tortoise.

So, as much as I detest Microsoft's data collection practices, which are only exacerbated if you use Windows Defender, I have to say that I'm going to answer the siren song once my Eset subscription is up, unless a new and trustworthy game comes into town that's worth trying, or Eset gets its act together, as I said above. But if it comes down to it, I'll probably use Defender, while keeping the Sophos offline scanner and Malwarebytes around, since I have reservations about how effective a Microsoft product can be by itself anyway. Then again, as others have pointed out, a little bit of common sense gets you a long way when it comes to avoiding malware.